Amazon’s Alexa, similar to Microsoft’s Cortana and Google Assistant, saves all the voice data on its servers. But, Amazon Alexa has a history of sharing personal data of its consumers. Although this data was leaked due to a technical glitch, it still compromised the privacy of users.
If you are concerned about your security, then you need to delete all the voice recordings and interactions with Alexa. Even though you cannot merely ask the voice assistant to stop spying, there are some ways for removing all the voice recordings and commands.
Why is it essential to delete your interactions with Amazon Alexa?
Alexa, like other smart digital assistants, wakes up whenever it hears the trigger world. For the device to activate as and when the trigger word is said, it needs to listen to the conversations actively. For this reason, the smart speaker is always on the listening mode.
At times, Alexa misinterprets any conversation and thinks that the trigger phrase has been said. In this case, it activates and starts listening for additional commands. Now, this spying activity may be detrimental to the user’s privacy.
How to delete Amazon Alexa Recordings?
Since you are aware of the dangers associated with the voice data which is stored by Alexa, you must be aware of how to remove the voice data in order to restore your privacy. You must bear in mind that these stored voice commands are utilized for enhancing the user experience. Therefore, when you delete it, you will diminish your experience when using the digital assistant.
Steps for deleting individual Amazon Alexa recordings
Well, if you are not too concerned about the fact that the voice recordings are saved in the Amazon servers, then you can delete certain individual recordings. Users who want to remove certain voice data which might be too invasive or secretive, can follow the process given here and delete individual voice recordings
- Firstly, navigate to Alexa.
- Launch the menu.
- Select Settings from the list.
- Navigate to the General section.
- Now, tap on History.
- From the list of all saved recordings, select the one you wish to delete.
- Now press the Delete voice recordings option.
- The selected voice recording will get deleted.
- Repeat this process to delete other recordings.
Note: If you want to hear the voice recording prior to removing it, just tap on the recording and hit the Play button.
Steps for deleting all Amazon Alexa recordings
If you are obsessed with maintaining your online privacy, then you need to remove all of the voice recordings saved in the servers of Amazon Alexa. Simply follow the stepwise process given here and delete all the voice interactions:
- You need head over to Amazon website.
- After that, sign in to the Amazon account.
- Navigate to Manage Your Content and Devices segment.
- Click on the tab called Your Devices.
- Now, you will see all the devices that are registered to the Amazon account.
- Click on the Alexa device.
- Now, click on Manage voice recordings.
- Just press the Delete button.
Aida Martin is a creative person who has been writing blogs and articles about cybersecurity. She writes about the latest updates regarding mcafee.com/activate and how it can improve the work experience of users. Her articles have been published in many popular e-magazines, blogs, and websites.