Ever since the release of iOS 12, users have received a number of new features for their iPhones and iPads. Apple has made certain changes to the way passwords work in iOS 12. Now, users find it easier to make and use robust passwords. As a matter of fact, passwords can now be shared using AirDrop. Let’s go through the blog and see how passwords work with the new iOS 12.
Steps for creating automatic, robust passwords
- Open the Safari browser app.
- Visit any website wherein you have to make a new account.
- Now, just key in the username or email address.
- In the blank for the password, just tap.
- A password will get automatically generated by the OS.
- If you wish to use the auto-generated password, just select the option called Use Strong Password.
- The password will get saved in iCloud Keychain.
If you wish to retrieve the password, just ask Siri to show the password for the specified account. After authenticating the identity, Siri will open the iCloud Keychain containing the specified password.
Steps for auditing reused passwords
- Open the Settings app on the iOS device.
- Tap on Passwords and Accounts.
- Now, select Website and App Passwords.
- Now amongst the list of passwords, find the ones that have a triangle shaped warning sign next to it.
- Select those passwords.
- Now, press the Change Password on Website option.
- Allow the page to load and change the password.
While this is not compulsory, it is highly suggested to modify repeated passwords and make sure that all the platforms have unique passwords.
Steps for auto-filling security codes
- Simply launch any application or visit a new website that needs you to authenticate the identity using a security code.
- Enter all the login details such as username as password.
- Now, you will be prompted to verify your identity.
- Select the option for text.
- When the message appears, the textbox in the verification screen will automatically get filled.
- Just hit the Submit button.
Steps for auto-filling passwords in websites and applications
- Open the Safari application.
- Visit any website wherein you have signed up already.
- Tap on the username.
- From the auto fill suggestions, tap on “for this website.”
- Authenticate yourself when prompted.
Steps for sharing and receiving passwords from other iPhones and iPads in the vicinity
- Open the Settings app.
- Tap on Passwords and accounts.
- Locate the account you wish to share and tap on it.
- Now, press the Password option and choose AirDrop.
- Choose the device you wish to share this information with.
- In order to receive the password data, just hit the Accept button.
Aida Martin is a self-professed security expert; she has been making the people aware of the security threats. Her passion is to write about Cyber security, cryptography, malware, social engineering, internet and new media. She writes for Norton security products at norton.com/setup .