Family Sharing is a fantastic feature. With this, users can share their purchases made on iTunes and App Store with their family. Apart from this, they can also set up a Family Sharing group for approving the permission to purchase stuff. If the children want to make purchases, the parent will have to approve it first. Let’s check out the process to set up Family Sharing on iOS.
Steps for setting up Family Sharing on iPhone or iPad
The family organizer refers to the individual who will initiate the setup process of Family Sharing. The family organizer will get requests regarding purchases, and they will be approving to pay for all the purchases that anybody within the family group makes.
- Open the Settings application on your iOS device.
- Just tap on the Apple ID option at the upper side.
- Now, select the option called Set Up Family Sharing.
- After that, hit the Get Started button.
- Press Continue at the bottom.
- You may add a picture if you want.
- Now, hit the Continue button again in the Share purchases screen.
- Hit continue to give confirmation to the payment method.
- Now, hit the Share Your Location button to share it with the members or Family.
- To skip it, touch the Not Now option.
- Go to Add Family Member link.
- Enter the name of the person you want to add.
- Input the security code and verify it.
- Simply keep adding others until it’s done.
You can add a maximum of six people to the Family Sharing group. The members will be notified over email and push message on their phones requiring them to accept the invite. When they allow it, any purchases made from then forth will get charged to the account of the organizer.
Steps for accepting a Family Sharing invite on iOS devices
- Open the Settings app. This will be present in the Home screen.
- Now, touch the Apple ID banner below the Search tab.
- Scroll down and tap on Invitations.
- Now, in the Family Sharing Invitation screen, tap the Accept button in the bottom left.
- Hit the Confirm button or select another Apple ID.
- In the Share purchases screen, hit the Continue button.
- In the Share your location with Family screen, you can either select Share Your Location option or Not Now.
Steps for assigning a parent or guardian
If you wish to add someone as a parent/guardian, then you can only do so if you’re the organizer of the Family Sharing group. Here’s how you can designate a parent or guardian:
- In your iOS device, tap on the Settings app.
- Now, just tap on your username at the top.
- Scroll down and select Family Sharing.
- Select the person you wish to add as a parent or guardian.
- Toggle the switch adjacent to Parent/Guardian in On/Green position.
Steps for leaving the family group
Any member of the family group (above the age of 13) can leave the group. Here’s how:
- Open the Settings app.
- Go to the Account banner.
- Tap on Family Sharing.
- Select your name from the list.
- Now, touch the Leave Family button.